The Speed of Life

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."
-Mahatma Gandhi


I pedaled by this 'twice-blasted road closed sign' at about 20mph, on Friday, January 2. The day was brisk at 36 degrees Fahrenheit, yet it wasn't cold. Cloudy but not grey. I was making good time on a planned 35 mile shake-down on the Domane, and a shake-down of myself after spending much of December on rollers.

Most of my surroundings on this Midwestern January day had assumed the color of winter, earthy and largely brown. Throw an orange sign in on that back drop and it tends to jump...if you're paying attention. I was paying attention. But I was making good time! Still the urge to capture an image of what had just caught my eye was strong. I rode on. Making good time.

At about a half-mile 'post sign' I got on the brakes, stood up and turned around. Why was I so intrigued with a road closed sign where there was no road?! Mounted to a fence post at the gated entrance of a picked corn field was a sign that had in fact been shot twice with something much heavier than a .22.

I took the picture, got back on my bike and continued doing what I was doing. I was happy. Oddly, satisfied. Five minutes of down time didn't cause me to miss my favorite TV show (don't have one), show up late for dinner (I was making dinner), or ruin my ride in any way. It actually added value to my ride. I was happy.

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Good things come in threes.

I came upon a Gate.

Falling down. Getting up.