Falling down. Getting up.




On a regular basis, I purposefully enter the woods to find myself lost. It's a fact, you have to be lost before you can be found. 

A couple weeks ago, while getting myself lost, I quickly discovered how ill-prepared I was for the intended expedition. The ground was frozen and I had the wrong tires on the bike with entirely too much air. I went down three times. The first two falls were relatively harmless. The third fall harbored a greater level of intensity. It caught my attention. In fact, there was enough intensity involved that I took inventory. 

After testing the larger pieces of my body to determine if I remained intact and was working properly, I laid back down. I was lost. It was beautiful. 

Eventually, I started talking to Me: "What in Hell do you think you're doing...riding a bike in the middle of a 250 acre forest...alone? Seriously, you're closer to 50 than 47!" 

Then, Me says to I: "Relax, I'm out here to fall down. You can't pick yourself up until you've been summarily knocked to the ground." 

End of conversation. Get lost.



Comments

  1. Your words touch and inspire me to be a better person. You bring me along the memories of your journey and I'm grateful for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, you've a gift for words. And perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I've been there before. Looking forward to getting lost with you again. (Maybe without the falling down.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good things come in threes.

The Gravel Road

I came upon a Gate.